Mill Street Historic District
West Mill Street represents both Town and Acre lots distributed and sold in 1845 by the Verein. Original Town Lots include 213 through 216 and Acre Lots 1, 2 and 168. The Ferguson and Hesler Firm purchased Acre Lot #2 from Charles Siebert on April 17, 1847. (Volume A, Page 28) then divided the property into 10 lots and added a road named “Ferguson Street”. This subdivision is representative of the rapid growth experienced by the City. By 1850 New Braunfels was the fourth largest town in Texas. Houses representing the “German Settlement Period” include the George Ullrich Haus at 528 W. Mill Street, the Habermann House at 543 W. Mill Street, the Geue-Milburn House at 554 W. Mill (RTHL) and the Geue House at 185 Ferguson Street. The district includes excellent local examples of the German-Texas Vernacular style, Craftsman bungalows, and several Victorian-era dwellings.
The district is home to the New Braunfels Academy, a local landmark and Registered Texas Historic Landmark. In 1858, New Braunfels’ citizens voted unanimously to impose a tax for the support of a public school eighteen years before such taxes were introduced by the State legislature. In 1884, the City purchased lots 213 and 214 for the use of schools. In January of 1913, the school board called a special meeting which they decided to build a new schoolhouse on the site of the existing New Braunfels Academy School, purchase the property behind lots 215 and 216 plus form an independent school district which would be separate from the city. June of that same year, San Antonio architecture firm CV Seutter & Shand were engaged for $500. Local contractor Adolph F Moeller had the lowest bid of $44,873 and took eleven months to construct with a cost overrun of $5,500. This is the “Academy” that stands today and is the anchor of the Mill Street historic district.