OverviewThe City of New Braunfels adopted the 2015 editions of the International Building / International Residential Codes (IBC/IRC) and the 2014 edition of the National Electric Code (NEC) as of August 11th 2015. The Building Division has copies of the ordinance incorporating the new changes.
The New Braunfels Building Division of the Planning and Community Development Department is responsible for the following:
- Implementation of all Building Codes and City Ordinances during the construction, alteration and improvement of the built environment to secure the beneficial interests of public life, health, and welfare.
- Retention of the greatest reduction in insurance premiums for the citizens by participation in the Community Rating System and Building Code effectiveness grading schedule.
- Assurance that all construction is performed by licensed and/or registered contractors.
- Minimization of the potential for flood damage to structures in a cost effective manner.
- Timely response to the questions, issues and concerns of the citizens of New Braunfels on matters related to the above functions of the Building Division.
Permits & Inspections
Building Division staff process building permit applications and conduct all inspections required for construction within the city limits. Building permits are not required nor are building inspections completed for construction in the ETJ. Please contact the appropriate county Engineer's Office for details:
LicensesAt this time, all construction work within the city must be completed by general contractors who are registered with the city. Plumbers, electricians, and mechanical contractors must be licensed by the state and registered with the city. Both the licensing and registration have applicable fees.
CLICK HERE FOR HOLIDAY HOURS.