In 1856, Alexander Rossy platted the "Hill" which included the original location of the Sophienburg Fort and today's Academy Avenue. According to an 1881 Bird's Eye map, only one house appears to have been built - 404 Academy.
By 1899, C.A. and Emma Jahn had accumulated multiple farm and town lots to form the Jahn Addition. On this plat, Hill Avenue became Grand Avenue. Several houses from this timeframe are of interest. The house at 548 Hill Avenue was designated a Registered Texas Historic Landmark in 2002 and a local landmark in 2003. It was built in 1905 as the retirement home of Friedrich Hofhein. He was a rancher, Grand Lodge President of the Texas Sons of Hermann, as well as Kendall County Justice of the Peace and County Commissioner.
According to Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, the majority of the houses along Academy Avenue and Hill Street were built before 1930. The Craftsman Bungalow Style was popular in the 1920s and two examples of that style are at 222 Academy and 230 Academy Avenue. By the 1930s, the Tudor Style was popular and two houses built by local builder C.R. Roesler can be seen at 285 Academy and 295 Academy Avenue.
The Sophienburg Hill Historic District was designated in May of 2009 and expanded in August of 2009.