Economic and Community Development
The Economic and Community Development Department's mission is to grow a livable, vibrant, and safely built City, where all people can enjoy a high quality of life and have an opportunity to grow up, live and age in a neighborhood that provides the basic systems to realize their potential.
To achieve this goal, the department focuses on shaping development through the following key strategies:
- Identify opportunities to expand the City's tax base, support job growth, and revitalize downtown to promote enhanced fiscal sustainability
- Create, monitor, and administer economic development performance agreements
- Provide professional analytical, professional, and administrative support to the New Braunfels Economic Development Corporation
- Collaborate with all City departments to reduce barriers and align resources promoting economic mobility
- Support the development and sustainability of a healthy housing market through a comprehensive local housing strategy
- Lead, convene, network and organize community-wide resources to reduce neighborhood disparities in access to economic opportunity
Boards and Committees
The Economic and Community Development Department administers the functions of the following boards and committees:
- The New Braunfels Economic Development Corporation Board administers economic development investments funded by a percentage of the City's sales tax collections to support business retention and expansion. These funds can be used to fund a wide variety of projects including land, buildings, equipment, facilities expenditures, and quality of life projects. The board typically meets monthly on the third Thursday of the month at 5:00 p.m.
- The New Braunfels Downtown Board endeavors to stimulate downtown economic development in New Braunfels, Texas by encouraging cooperation and building leadership in the business community, creating a positive image for downtown, assisting in improving the downtown appearance, and making recommendations to the City Council on initiatives designed to promote the economic development of the center-city area and support the local, small business community. The board typically meets monthly on the third Tuesday of the month at 8:30 a.m.
- The New Braunfels Workforce Housing Advisory Committee works to address the community's workforce and affordable housing needs by raising awareness about the challenges and availability of workforce and affordable housing and providing the City Council with recommendations on solutions for a full range of workforce housing choices for households of all incomes, ages, and abilities. The committee typically meets monthly on the third Wednesday of the month at 4:00 p.m.