Code Compliance

If you have a question regarding COVID please view the city COVID-19 web page for more information.

The Code Compliance Division is responsible for investigating and processing general nuisance violations, applicable statutory provisions, and specific ordinance violations, including, but not limited to:

  • Junk and abandoned vehicles on private property.
  • Tall grass and weed violations on private property.
  • Outside storage of junk & trash on private property.
  • Bandit Signs on public right of ways.
  • Graffiti Abatement

The Code Compliance Division is responsible for monitoring both public and private property, commercial and residential, to ensure that there are no health or safety hazards that might endanger the public and determining compliance with certain City codes and ordinances. These code requirements are the minimum standards the City has adopted to protect the interests and eliminate hazards that could affect public safety, health, and general welfare. The City’s codes and ordinances address a wide variety of areas, including nuisance violations, public health, zoning violations and sign violations.

Code Compliance Officers are not Police Officers and cannot issue citations. However, officers can still file complaints with the City’s Municipal Court, which requires a property owner or occupant to appear in court to answer to charges of code violation. In addition, for certain types of violation, the City may remove the nuisance and charge the property owner for the cost of work, including placing a lien on the property to recover the costs. However, the primary focus of the officers in enforcement is education, and officers will normally work with first-time offenders and allow them time to remove the nuisance themselves.

City of New Braunfels Citizen Portal

You can search for past and current Code Compliance cases and check the status using this online portal.

Short Term Rental

The rental for compensation of one- or two-family dwellings, as defined in the IRC (International Residential Code), for the purpose of overnight lodging for a period of not less than one night and not more than 30 days other than ongoing month-to-month tenancy granted to the same renter for the same unit. This is not applicable to hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, resort properties as defined in Chapter 144-5.17 of the municipal code or resort condominiums.

If you would like to report an illegal Short Term Rental property please use the link below. If the complaint occurs after hours or on the weekend the complaint will be reviewed the next business day.  Short Term Rental Complaint Form

If you have a noise complaint related to a Short Term Rental property do not use the form and contact the New Braunfels Police Department non emergency dispatch at 830-221-4100.

Excess Brush & Bulky Items

Bulky items such as furniture, appliances or brush are not collected during routine curbside service. The Solid Waste & Recycling Division can schedule a collection of bulky items at the request of the resident. There is a fee for this service.

Building Code

The Code Compliance Division does not enforce Building Codes or construction occurring without Building Permits. Use the Building Division online complaint form if you have any questions about construction related concerns.