Continuing winter weather conditions across South Central Texas have prompted the City of New Braunfels to continue closures of many city facilities on Friday (02/04).
Forecasters with the National Weather Service expect freezing conditions to continue overnight Thursday into Friday, creating the potential for icy conditions on some roads and bridges in the area. Gusty winds overnight tonight will also lead to wind chill temperatures in the teens to single digits. Residents are urged to avoid road travel if possible and to stay indoors, bring pets and plants inside, wrap exposed pipes, and check on neighbors. Meanwhile, the temporary closure of certain city facilities will continue into Friday. Essential City services will continue normal operations, and residents can expect delayed openings of the Library and Das Rec. The partial activation of the City’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) continues, and City staff continues to closely monitor weather conditions.
- Police, Fire/EMS, Public Works, and Solid Waste will continue operations as normal.
- Please note: There are currently no changes to the schedule for solid waste and recycling services; however, City staff is closely monitoring weather and roadway conditions. Should changes become necessary, residents can find that information on the City of New Braunfels website and on the City’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and NextDoor).
- Most non-essential City services will be closed on Friday (02/04). This includes City Hall and other administrative offices, Municipal Court, the Westside Community Center, and the Landa Park Golf Course.
- Das Rec will reopen on Friday (02/04) from 12pm-7pm
- The Public Library will reopen on Friday (02/04) from 12pm-6pm.
- Restrooms, water fountains, and other facilities in all City parks remain temporarily closed.
Road and Bridge Preparation
City street crews continue to treat local roads and bridges with gravel and de-icing agents, and TxDOT is taking similar precautions on I-35 and other major highways. Residents can find updated local road closure information on the City of New Braunfels website. Drivers are advised to avoid travel, if possible, due to continued icy conditions.
City Meetings & Events
· The New Braunfels Parks and Recreation Department’s Daddy Daughter Dance at Wursthalle, originally scheduled for Friday (02/04) and Saturday (02/05), has been postponed. Details about the rescheduling of that event will be announced as soon as those details are confirmed.
· Additional delayed openings or closures will be posted on the City website and on the City’s social media platforms.
The City has plans in place for the opening of a Warming Center, should that become necessary due to prolonged power outages caused by windy conditions and/or icy conditions on power lines and trees.