On October 30, 2006, the City of New Braunfels adopted Texas Local Government Code Chapter 143 Civil Service. Our members now enjoy consistent hiring, promotional, disciplinary, and termination practices. As a result, our hiring requirements and practices have also changed. Entry level testing is now administered by the Civil Service Director. Applicants must be at least 18, but must not have reached their 40th birthday as of the date of the written examination. Other specific requirements that must be met to be considered eligible for employment include:
- Additional Requirements for Employment
- Passing the written entry level exam, physical agility test, and swim test.
- Go before an Interview Board
- Passing a comprehensive criminal background check including a polygragph test.
- Passing a pre-employment medical and psychological screening.
- At a minimum, hold TCFP basic firefighter and DSHS EMT-B certifications.
The information provided here is general in nature and for informational purposes only. Any specific questions should be directed to the Human Resources Department at (830) 221-4393...Any current job opening will be posted under Employment Opportunities. You can sign up to be notified of entry level firefighter testing by email. If you have additional questions you may contact the New Braunfels Fire Department Training Division at (830) 221-4260 M-F during normal business hours.